Adages, the oral transfer of knowledge between generations
Here you will find a list of over seven hundred adages people use everyday to improve their lives. An adage is a short saying that transmits wisdom. Before people knew how to read and write, they passed knowledge by word of mouth. The word adage comes from Latin adagium (saying), formed by the prefix ad- (to, toward, about) and agium (from the verb agio, I say).
- 10/90 Rule - Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. (Thank you: Osmay)
- 20/80 Rule - Pareto principle - 80%, of what happens to you, can be attributed to 20% of your behaviour... or to solve the last 20% of your problem, it will take 80% of your effort.
- A big hat, no cattle. (All show but not much result - Thank you: Kendrick Bateson)
- A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. (Thank you: Wendell Boggs)
- A boy's a boy, two boys is half a boy, an' three boys ain't no boy a-tall! (Thank you: Larry)
- A chain is as strong as its weakest link. (A team is as strong as its weakest player. It only takes one person to screw up the game. (Thank you: Seketektek)
- A change is as good as a rest (Thank you: Kendrick Bateson)
- A closed mouth gathers no feet. (Thank you: Chris)
- A coward dies a thousand times, a hero dies but once (Thank you: Dr. Bob)
- A fine appearance is a poor substitute for inward worth.
- A fool and his money are soon parted. (Better save some while you can. (Thank you: Nellie B)
- A friend in need is a friend in deed. (Thank you: Koon Wijekoon)
- A good book never looks good; a bad book never looks bad. (Thank you: Shanker Suman)
- A great idea doesn't know his parent
- A happy wife is a happy life. (Thank you: Regina Rosa )
- A humble life with peace and quiet is better than a splendid one with danger and risk.
- A language is a dialect with an army and navy.
- A leopard can't change its spots. (Thank you: Dr. Bob)
- A lie stands on on leg a truth stands on two.
- A loaded jargon makes no noise. (When one has a lot of qualities, he doesn't feel the need to brag. - Thank you: Riki)
- A locked door only hides what you truly want. (Thank you: Penguinstein)
- A man chases a woman until SHE catches him. (Thank you: Staralfur)
- A man does not charge along an unknown place. (Thank you: Cyril)
- A man is known by the company he keeps.
- A man who represents himself has a fool for a client. (Always get a lawyer to represent you on court of law.)
©2007-2020 copyright www.deChile.net